Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Into the Wild Personal Response #1

 "Chris was very much of the school that you should own nothing except what you can carry on your back at a dead run". This quote spoke to me  while reading Into the Wild because it demonstrated the true purity in Chris's ventures. He wasn't going on this trip for the fame or fortune, or even to have a good reputation, he did it to experience what so many had before him. In my opinion, this quote means that one should not have excessive amounts of anything-- only what is needed. I think very highly of his belief. He trusts fully in nature to help him through the cold months and marvels in its beauty during the warm ones, I find that incredibly courageous and meaningful. I think the value of a minimalist lifestyle comes from within rather than something tangible. By living minimally for as long as he did, he expressed feelings he might not have expressed, he learned things he may never have learned, and he found out who he is in the world. Living minimally, in my opinion, has many great effects. I would do the same thing, if I wasn't so wimpy. I envy that he had the boldness to set out on such a journey the way he did, for I could never. I think it takes a great deal of self-reliance (Look! Emerson got to me!) and bravery within oneself. These are characteristics that many lack, but Chris McCandless was lucky enough to have these attributes to take him on the journey of a lifetime. 

No comments:

Post a Comment