The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald is a phenomenal book, so it's not surprising that Hollywood would take advantage of it. On May 10, Baz Luhrmann debuted his masterpiece. The star-struck actors's names flashed over the large screen and the movie began. I couldn't contain my excitement.
Daisy Buchanan's characterization was dead-on. She was introduced as the careless, floozy, lazy wife of Tom Buchanan. She showed no true sincerity in the way she spoke to Tom, but very genuinely while with Gatsby. The scene where Daisy and Gatsby reunite is a great show of this. First, when Nick escorts Daisy into his house, she talks about her driver, Ferdie. "Come back in an hour, Ferdie. His name is Ferdie," she says with just enough ditziness. When she sees Gatsby, Daisy says, "I certaianly am awfully glad to see you again," while Fitzgerald explains that, "a pause; it endured horribly." In the movie, Luhrmann sets up this scene exactly how I pictured it in the book. It's embarassing, emotional, and frightening all at the same time. Lastly, Daisy's characterization in the last intense scene is spectacular. From the time that she lights a cigarette before they leave until the moment they get home that night, the portrayal of Daisy Buchanan is perfect. When Daisy suggests that they all go in town to avoid the heat and then suddenly changes her mind once Tom decides he wants to as well is a good example. Fitzgerald describes: ""But it's so hot," insisted Daisy, on the verge of tears, "and everything's so confused. Let's all go to town!"" This particular scene is one of the best portrayals of Daisy. For the other actors, I felt that they all fit well with their characters, with an exception of Nick Carraway. Nick seemed very dazed and was hardly as involved as I thought he would have been.
The plot of The Great Gatsby is very iconic and timeless. Scandals follow every era, which makes the story easy to follow and interesting. Gatsby is presented in such a way that makes him seem regal and sophisticated, but later changes to obsessive and crazy. Luhrmann captures this change very well. It is clearly stated what the plot is. If you haven't read the book, you could see the movie and know what is going on. The only complaint I have is that Nick seemed distant rather than involved in the story. Throughout the book, I thought that Nick had a fairly large role in the plot, but it did not seem that way in the movie.
Baz Luhrmann did a spectacular job in developing the roaring 20s and the subtle corruption. He starts off showing people not even relevant to the story to set the scene of the era. Then, at one of Gatsby's infamous parties, the scene is outrageous and over the top in just the right way. I think that Luhrmann did a maginificent job of setting the mood of the careless twenties. Fitzgerald describes, "The lights grow brighter as the earth lurches away from the sun, and now the orchestra is playing yellow cocktail music...laughter is easier minute by minute...the sea-change of faces and voices and color under the constantly changing light." That's just how it is, as well. Also, props to the music! Although at a couple points the songs didn't match, they brought the movie into the 21st century and made it more relatable. Luhrmann did Fitzgerald's smooth, beautiful words justice in this movie.
Overall, I would give this movie and A- because of the perfect characterizations, mood, and plot. But, since something was off with Nick, I give it the minus. Still, Luhrmann's interpretation of The Great Gatsby was nearly perfect, including small mundane details of the book that you wouldn't think would make the movie. I was impressed and would like to see it again.
I agree with your assessment of the film. You blend moments from both the text and movie with clear focus. Nicely done.
ReplyDelete10/10