I have always enjoyed writing. From the moment I learned, I was constantly writing stories and plays. In high school, I realized that my grades showed that I actually was a pretty good writer. I rarely ever got anything lower than a B+ on a writing assignment. I could say that those grades were just showing a talent for writing, but then I'd be wrong. I have a passion for writing. Whether it be creative, persuasive, narrative, or argumentative, I love it. Of course, I am still a teenager, and if I don't feel like writing that day, then I don't. I handle major writing assignments well. I start with an outline, then continue on to a first draft. I like someone with more experience to read through my first draft to tell me how I can improve it. Then I go on to edit it and come up with a second draft, this one I usually have a peer read. After the two drafts are done, I finish up my paper with a quick edit and read through. Bam. Paper done. I feel confident with my ability to write, although I'd love to improve as much as possible! For strengths, I definitely think mine are being able to express my wide vocabulary and play with my words. Weaknesses are plenty as well. I have major writer's block lots of times and I could use some help on sentence structure. I'd like to learn more about how to write in a way that just flows better. I think that sentence structure would be a big part of that.
Personally, I am most excited for the 'Realism, Naturalism, & Racial Issues in America' unit because I just adore argumentative writing and discussing controversial topics. I love to debate my feelings on a subject. Now for least excited, (I'm sure this is a popular one) the Poetry unit is definitely going to be my least favorite. I've always hated poetry and the Poetry Out Loud competition. I think I can do well on most units, I usually do. Worried? I'm not very worried for any units, I think that I can learn anything that I want.
I'm glad to hear that you have such passionate thoughts about writing. Creative writing is a great way to practice the elements of writing, though there's a world of difference between creative and academic writing.
ReplyDeleteThis year we'll be writing papers in multiple drafts. The process you mentioned about first, second, and third drafts is going to be very close to the way we handle major pieces of writing this year. It sounds like you have a good process for writing. The only way you can go now is forward in your writing ability!
The unit on race should be interesting. I really developed an argumentative sort of writing assignment last year that I'll amend a bit for honors that should be right up your alley. As far as poetry goes, it's certainly not the first time I've heard people say they are apprehensive about it.
Can't wait to see some of your writing this year!